- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (50g) unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 cups (450g) bomba rice
- 1½ tablespoons (20ml) Spanish saffron
- 1 cup (250ml) cooking white wine
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken broth
- 10 ounces (300g) chorizo, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces (150g) prosciutto (thick slices), chopped
- 6 small chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 12 ounces (350g) pork loin center chops, medium cubes
- 1 pound (500g) shrimp (raw and skin on)
- 10 ounces (300g) calamari rings
- 1 pound (500g) mussels
- 1 cup (150g) green peas
- 1 sweet red pepper, julienne
- 1 cup (25g) parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Heat a large sauté pan or traditional paella pan. Add a splash of olive oil, sauté the chorizo, prosciutto. Set aside. Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper and sauté until lightly brown. Set aside. Same with the shrimp and calamari just for a few minutes, just so they change color. Set aside.
Add the rest of the olive oil and butter to the pan and fry the garlic cloves, once browned take them out. In the same oil sauté the onions, add rice and stir for 2-3 minutes to thoroughly coat the rice with oil.
Combine ½ cup (125ml) of hot chicken broth with the saffron and add to the rice. Add prosciutto, chorizo, and pork. After a few minutes add white wine and reduce for a few minutes. Add chicken broth.
Arrange the rest of the ingredients evenly. Cover the paella pan with aluminum foil, allow it to simmer on the stove top at a low temperature until the rice is cooked for about 30 minutes.
Serve paella with lemon wedges – Enjoy!!